Saturday, May 5, 2018
So on the homefront we are finally moving forward on some projects. The new hvac unit is installed and running. I am going to enjoy the quietness of the AC and not having window units. I still plan on using the woodstove in the winter but backup heat will be nice. This thing is huge though!
We finally got the aquarium sealed and running. Next up is plants. Let's just say that while the seals are holding and strong I don't think I will ever be good at caulking. The tape came off as soon as got it caulked.
Thursday, April 5, 2018
Tuesday, March 27, 2018
OK I am excited over this! For as long as I have quilted I have used an old fleece blanket hung on a curtain rod as my design wall. It worked but was a pain as I had to pin everything to it. After our remodel in the fall my curtain was in the way of the ironing board dh built me. I moved it but it just didn't fit well. So after much thought and tossing ideas at dh this is what I came up with. It's lightweight so I can move it easily, there's nothing on the floor to trip over, and it wasn't outrageously expensive. It's 6ft across and 2ft more on the side that folds out. One more perk....the cats can no longer get to my fabric and rearrange arrange it!
Sunday, January 21, 2018
I saw a surgeon the next week and he petrified me. He didn't know if it would be better to go in through my abdomen or my chest to fix this.....Oh my! A week later he called to tell me he couldn't do it and was handing me off to another surgeon. At this point I took myself in to see a gp that my daughter works for and got a referral to a hernia specialist and was seen that week. It took 3 more weeks before the first surgeon called to "talk" to me about the referral. Yes there was steam coming out of my ears by then.
The second surgeon ordered a whole new slew of tests and bloodwork. Some of these I can only describe as torture invented by Satan. It took 8 weeks from diagnosis to get surgery. It would have taken longer had I actually been able to eat anything. They took pity on me and moved it up 4 weeks.
Surgery amazingly was done laprascopically and went well. It was much worse than they thought though and said I was filled with inflammation and scar tissue. They also took my gallbladder out as it was inflamed.
I am now almost 3 months out and doing well. I lost a lost of muscle tissue and strength while down with this so am just slowly getting back into the hang of things.
I am quilting! Here's Pat Sloan's Grandmother's Kitchen that I was working on when all this started. Almost together.
Wednesday, August 9, 2017
It all started with wanting to paint the den. It's been probably 10 years since we've painted and between kids, pets, and the woodstove my walls and ceiling were in DIRE need of updating.
So I talked to the hubster about it and he came back to me and told me if we were going to do the walls we might as well take care of redoing the hardwood floors that never got finished. Okay....I could do that. Then I told him I wanted that useless window looking out to the addition gone. Yes the quilt covering was pretty but let's get rid of it. The green quilt is covering the window....
All would've been good if I'd left it alone at that point. But have you EVER known me to do that? No!
Old useless window out! See the board behind? That's the addition.
So I looked at that window we pulled out and I looked at my very messed up front window and thought since they were the same size it should be no big deal to switch them out. That is what got me in trouble! There's the old window halfway out....that's as far as I got before dh stepped in and said we might as well put a new one in.
Oh what a mess I can make! One of the problems with an old house is the windows now are different sizes. Nowhere we looked had this size window. But we did find a clearance window we liked. Another problem popped up when the hubster found out he was headed out of town for work. Gulp....replacing the window by myself was NOT on my list of skills. So a dear friend stepped in and helped us out. It took three days of HARD work but we took siding down, cut new openings, put in new windows, and got the siding back up.
And now that almost everything is back in place, we have furniture we can sit on, we can walk through the house, and most of the dust is gone I am thrilled with the den......even if it did take most of July and blood, sweat, and tears to accomplish it. Oh and my boys say that if I ever say I want to redo the den again they are moving out!
Saturday, July 8, 2017
On the quilting front I started on two of Pat Sloan's quilt alongs. It's fun doing a block a week and when I finish I will have two quilts.
Look at this bottom block. It's from her quilt Winter Solstice. This will be my first quilt where all the blocks are not the same size.
All quilts and quilt blocks on the premises are inspected for quality as soon as they are made. Standards are high and this one passed with flying colors. I could barely finish quilting it before she took over. She had a bath and then a nice long nap.
And just in case you thought all I do is can and quilt (would be fine with me!) Here's a pic I took Sunday...dh asked me if I would iron a "couple" shirts for him.....